Station Lofts
 

Find us on Facebook
History of Station Lofts
Formally the Lilly Brackett Boot & Shoe Co./Geo. Knight & Co., the building is significant for its long association with Brockton’s shoe and leather industry. Built in 1880 by Lilly Brackett & Co., a leading manufacturer of quality men’s boots and shoes, the building is considered to be Brockton’s first brick shoe factory.

In 1908, the Lilly Brackett & Co. building was purchased by George Knight, founder of Geo. Knight & Co., well-known manufacturers of shoe machinery. Knight & Co. remained in the building until 2004, at which time it moved its manufacturing facility to another location in Brockton. Stall and Dean (a tenant from 1917 through the 1950’s) took advantage of the local skilled labor force to manufacture sporting goods made with leather, such as baseball gloves and footballs.

Stall and Dean made the uniforms for the first six National Hockey League teams in the building. In addition, it made uniforms for many all star athletes, including Ted Williams, Bobby Orr, and Ty Cobb. It is believed the baseball catcher’s mitt was invented in the building.